Take The T To First Night
Posted on December 24, 2008
NEW YEAR’S EVE– FREE SERVICE AFTER 8
COMPLETE SCHEDULE AVAILABLE BELOW
Wednesday, December 31st through Thursday, January 1st
Today, the MBTA announced its service schedule for New Year’s Eve and New Year’s Day. The MBTA is providing extra transit services throughout the First Night Festivities and will be offering FREE service after 8:00 p.m. Extra MBTA Police will patrol the system to assist with crowd control and safety. Encouraging First Night revelers to take the T, MBTA General Manager Dan Grabauskas said, “As in past years, we are prepared to provide customers safe and reliable transportation to and from First Night. With winter weather upon us, and the obstacles that come with driving, taking the T is the best choice.” The following is the MBTA’s operating schedule:
Wednesday, December 31 – New Year’s Eve
Blue, Orange, Green and Red Line trains will operate on a Weekday schedule with the following additions:
- Service will increase during the afternoon leading to rush-hour service levels from approximately 7:00 p.m. through the conclusion of the event.
- Evening trains will provide rush-hour levels of service and will run until approximately 2:00 a.m.
Buses will operate on a Weekday schedule with the following additions:
*Extra service on route #57 (Watertown to Kenmore) from 6:00 p.m. until the completion of the fireworks.
*Extra service on route #39 (Forest Hills to Back Bay) from 6:00 p.m. until the completion of the fireworks.
*Extra service operating out of Government Center to Riverside upon completion of the fireworks.
*Extra service in the Cambridge area operating out of Harvard, Central and Lechmere Stations as needed.
*Extra service operating out of Sullivan, Wellington, and Haymarket Stations as needed.
*Extra service operating from Wonderland Station to Revere.
*Extra service in the Quincy area until the completion of Quincy’s First Night Festivities.
Commuter Rail Service On New Year’s Eve will operate on a Weekday schedule with additional train service provided to accommodate customers participating in Boston’s First Night Celebration. (See below for extra service)
OUTBOUND FROM NORTH STATION
Fitchburg Line: 12:10 AM Departure to South Acton
1:00 AM & 2:00 AM Departure to Fitchburg
Haverhill Line: 12:10 AM Departure to Reading
1:00 AM & 2:00 AM Departure to Haverhill
Lowell Line: 12:10 AM, 1:00 AM, & 2:00 AM Departure to Lowell
Newburyport Line: 12:10 AM Departure to Beverly
12:45 AM Departure to Newburyport
Rockport Line: 1:00 AM & 2:00 AM Departure to Rockport
(2:00 AM Departure Connects with Newburyport at Beverly)
OUTBOUND FROM SOUTH STATION
Providence Line: 12:45 AM & 1:45 AM Departure to Providence
Franklin Line: 12:45 AM & 1:45 AM Departure to Forge Park
Greenbush Line: 1:05 AM Departure to Greenbush
Middleboro/Lakeville Line: 1:10 AM Departure to Middleboro
Needham Line: 1:00 AM Departure to Needham
Plymouth/Kingston Line: 1:00 AM Departure to Kingston
Worcester/Framingham Line: 1:00 AM Departure to Worcester
Commuter Boat and Ferry
- Inner Harbor Ferry will operate a normal weekday schedule
- Hingham Commuter Boat service: The 7:30 p.m. and 8:30 p.m. departures from Rowes Wharf to Hingham will be substituted with departures at 12:30 p.m. and 2:30 p.m. The last trip from Hingham will be at 6:10 p.m. The last boat departing Rowes Wharf will be at 7:00 p.m.
- Quincy and Hull Commuter Boat service to Logan Airport and Long Wharf will operate a normal weekday schedule.
THE RIDE will operate extended hours until 2:30 a.m.
As a way to manage traffic volume, customers are urged to pay upon entering the parking garages.
Thursday, January 1st– New Year’s Day
- Blue, Orange, Green and Red Line trains will operate on a Sunday schedule.
- Buses and trackless trolleys will operate on a Sunday schedule.
- Commuter rail trains will operate on a Sunday schedule. Please Note: Fairmount Line, Needham Line and Stoughton Line will not operate.
- Inner Harbor Ferry and Commuter Boat services will not operate.
- THE RIDE will operate on a Sunday schedule.
For more information about MBTA services, routes, schedules and fares, please call the T’s Customer Information Center at 617-222-3200 (TDD 617-222-5146) or log onto the MBTA’s website www.mbta.com.
Media Contact Information
For all queries and comments, please contact: