Automated Fare Collection 2.0 (AFC 2.0)
About the Project
The MBTA's new fare payment system will make paying for transit easier and more convenient. With AFC 2.0, you'll be able to tap and board at any door with a fare card, smartphone, or contactless credit card. Reload using cash or credit card at vending machines at all stations and some bus stops, or go online to manage your account 24 hours a day.
- Board at any door: Readers will let you tap and board at every door on buses and Green Line trains.
- Faster buses and Green Line trains: With shorter lines and reduced boarding times, buses and Green Line trains will move on more quickly. If you travel by bus, you should be able to get where you’re going 10% faster.
- Tap everywhere: You'll be able to tap and board the same way on the bus, subway, commuter rail, and ferry. With AFC 2.0, paying your fare won't get in your way.
- Use your smartphone or contactless credit card: You'll be able to travel without a fare card by tapping your contactless credit card or smartphone. And even if you tap with a smartphone, you’ll be able to reload using cash.
- Pay before you board more easily: You'll be able to get a new fare card or reload at fare vending machines located in all subway stations and at some bus stops, and even at select retail locations near you.
- Manage your account: You'll be able to check your balance, reload, access your travel history, or replace a lost card on our new website or by phone at our call center.
- Accessibility improvements: We’re making the gates wider, and the whole system will be designed for a broad range of accessibility needs by user experience specialists. The website and mobile app will be compliant with digital accessibility guidelines
|Time Period||2017||Activities||Requirements are defined and the procurement process is completed|
|Time Period||Nov. 20, 2017||Activities||Fiscal & Management Control Board awards contract to advance AFC 2.0|
Download the FMCB presentation
|Time Period||Mar. 20, 2018||Activities||MBTA finalizes contract to advance AFC 2.0|
|Time Period||2018||Activities||New system is designed, developed, and tested|
|Time Period||Early 2019||Activities||Installation begins in stations and on vehicles|
|Time Period||Late 2019||Activities||New system is rolled out to a limited number of users during pilots|
|Time Period||May 2020||Activities||New system is available to the general public, operating alongside the old system|
|Time Period||May 2021||Activities||Transition to the new system is complete, and the old system is retired|
For all queries and comments related to Automated Fare Collection 2.0 (AFC 2.0), please contact: