Coming Spring 2014: Government Center Station Closure
Beginning Spring 2014, Government Center Station will be closed for approximately two years while crews work to upgrade the station into a fully accessible, safer, modern, more comfortable facility. The current schedule is summarized as follows:
• Construction Contract Award (NTP): July 2013
• Prepare station for closure (electrical, structural, civil): Second Quarter through Fourth Quarter 2013
• Reconfigure roadways and sidewalks for station closure: Fourth Quarter 2013 to Second Quarter 2014. This work will begin the week of November 18, 2013.
• Close station for reconstruction: Second Quarter 2014
• Reopen station: Second Quarter 2016
• Completion of construction: Fourth Quarter 2016
What Are the Improvements?
Improvements will make Government Center Station accessible for the first time and will include new elevators, a new station entrance and lobbies, a new emergency exit-only structure on Cambridge Street between Court and Sudbury Street, new escalators, new LED signage, new and expanded fare collection area, upgraded back-up electrical power supply, improved interior finishes, and new station lighting, mechanical systems, and public address system. Additional vendor retail space will also be provided on both Green Line and Blue Line platforms.
How Will This Affect My Commute?
The recommended path of travel for Green Line customers desiring access to the Blue Line is to travel to Haymarket Station and transfer to the Orange Line toward Forest Hills (southbound). Customers should exit the Orange Line at State Street Station for Blue Line connections. The recommended path of travel for Blue Line customers desiring access to the Green Line is to travel to State Street and transfer to the Orange Line toward Oak Grove (northbound). Customers should then exit at Haymarket Station for Green Line connections.
During Government Center's closure, Green Line trains can pass through Government Center station but not stop there. The last downtown stop will generally be the following for each branch:
• B Line (Boston College) will end at Park Street
• C Line (Cleveland Circle) will end at North Station
• D Line (Riverside) will end at Park Street during rush hours, and North Station at other times
• E Line will end at Lechmere
A shuttle bus will also operate, leaving Haymarket Station busway every twenty minutes from 5:20 a.m. to 12:20 a.m. seven days a week (Sundays, the shuttle begins at 6:00 a.m.). The bus will make stops outside State Street Station, Government Center Station, Bowdoin Station, and then return to Haymarket.
As the closure date approaches, this page will continue to be updated and will remain your best source for all Government Center-related material and information.