New Fares - Effective July 1, 2012
On April 4, 2012 the MBTA Board voted to implement fare and service changes to balance the FY2013 budget. The fare and service changes are effective July 1, 2012.
|MBTA Service and Fare Changes||Word|
|MBTA Fare Policy Effective July 1, 2012||Word|
A summary of fare and service changes effective July 1, 2012 are described below.
Subway & Bus
|Bus||Rapid Transit||Bus & Rapid Transit|
|Bus||Rapid Transit||Bus & Rapid Transit|
Commuter Rail & Ferry
|Commuter Rail||$2 - $11||$70 - $345|
|Commuter Ferry (Hull, Hingham, Quincy)||$8 - $16||$262|
- A $3 surcharge will be added to tickets purchased on-board all trains departing from North, South and Back Bay Stations.
- Monday through Friday customers will be charged $3 surcharge by the conductor when a ticket is purchased on board from a station with a MBTA ticket vending machine or where a Ticket Vendor is open.
- A list of these stations can be found on the MBTA website here: http://www.mbta.com/fares_and_passes/sales_locations/
- One Way Single Rides for Zone 9 and Zone 10 will be charged at the One Way Fare at all times
- All 10-ride tickets will be sold with an expiration time limit of 90 days.
- Single ride tickets will be sold with an expiration time of 90 days.
Effective July 20, 2012, the MBTA will no longer redeem tokens. Due to increased demand to redeem tokens before July 20, 2012, we will continue to accept tokens via fare vending machines at the following locations:
Downtown Crossing, Harvard Square, Riverside, Ruggles, Quincy Center, and Government Center Stations.
Customers will be able to redeem tokens for CharlieCard/Ticket value via Fare Vending Machines at these locations.
The MBTA will also redeem tokens for CharlieCard/Ticket value during normal business hours at the Downtown Crossing Pass Office and 10 Park Plaza, Suite 4730.
The following bus routes will be eliminated effective July 1, 2012:
- Weekday: 48, 355, 500
- Saturday: 48, 52, 245, 451, 554
- Sunday: 18, 37/38, 245, 436
The following routes will have schedule/route changes effective July 1, 2012:
- Weekday: 52, 217, 351, 354, 439, 441, 442, 451, 455, 555, CT3
- Saturday: 465
The following commuter rail service will be eliminated effective July 7, 2012:
- Saturday: Needham, Plymouth/Kingston, Greenbush
- Sunday: Plymouth/Kingston, Greenbush
The following commuter ferry service will be eliminated effective October 8th, 2012
- Weekends: F2 – Quincy/Logan Airport
Green Line E
- Weekend Green Line E branch service will terminate at Brigham Circle. For service between Brigham Circle and Heath Street, customers are encouraged to ride the Route 39 bus.
- Weekend Mattapan Line service schedules are modified.
- Updated schedule: Mattapan Schedule(Updated 7/1/2012)
RIDE fares for ADA-required trips are $4. This applies to RIDE trips with origin and destination within ¾ miles of and during operating hours for MBTA bus or subway service, when booking 1-14 days in advance.
RIDE fares for Premium trips are $5. This applies when RIDE trip origin and/or destination is greater than ¾ miles from or outside of operating hours for MBTA bus or subway, or for same-day trip requests.
Reservationists will confirm the fare when a customer schedules a trip.
|RIDE Fares Effective July 1, 2012|
|RIDE Fares Effective October 1, 2012|
The midday weekday map appears below.
3:15 AM to 4:29 PM
4:30 AM to 5:59 AM
6:00 AM to 6:59 PM Most weekday trips will fall into this time range.
7:00 PM to 7:59 PM
8:00 PM to 9:29 PM
9:30 PM to 10:59 PM
11:00 PM to 11:59 PM
12:00 AM to 1:59 AM
3:15 AM to 4:59 AM
5:00 AM to 6:59 AM
7:00 AM to 7:59 AM
8:00 AM to 9:59 AM
10:00 AM to 7:59 PM Most Sunday trips will fall into this time range.
8:00 PM to 1:59 AM
Click here to download these map files in KMZ format for use with Google Earth and similar programs.
To All Senior/TAP Customers:
Discounted rides and passes require a Senior CharlieCard available at the CharlieCard Store located in downtown Boston. Adjacent to the Red and Orange Lines at Downtown Crossing Station, the CharlieCard Store is open Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.
Call 617-222-3200 or 617-222-5854 (TTY) for more information.