Filming/Sampling* on the MBTA
*Sampling follows all filming procedures & requirements, costs & payments.
MBTA Background & Overview
The MBTA plays an essential role in everyday life in Boston, as well as being a prominent and functional figure throughout Boston's history. It is due to this position as a transit powerhouse and historical icon that the MBTA is frequently depicted in countless films, commercials and motion pictures.
The MBTA's idyllic location offers Boston's unmistakable charm as a backdrop for some of the nation's most fabulous scenery. Our footprint is expansive enough to offer a vast variety of visual stimulation to give your production the look, feel and flavor that will complete your production.
What We Can Offer
- Over 1,000 buses including new Compressed Natural Gas (CNG) buses and also a vintage 1957 bus
- Four (4) multi-colored subway lines, over 54 RTL stations and over 420 cars
- Four (4) Streetcar & Trolley lines with surface, elevated and underground stations and over 215 cars
- 11 commuter rail lines with 122 stations and hundreds of coaches, locomotives and bi-level cars
- 155 lift-equipped vans
- State-of-the-art Operations Control Center with an enormous video display
- Various garages, carbarns, mechanical facilities, and tunnels
Hours of Availability
Filming productions are allowed on MBTA property and vehicles during non-revenue periods. Special requests should be submitted in writing for consideration.
The MBTA reserves the right to maintain and protect the integrity of its images, logos and any other form of public representation. In general, any filming, videotaping or photography that depicts the MBTA must not portray the Authority in a negative light. This includes, but is not limited to, violent content, sexual activity and assault. Furthermore, any attempt to portray public transportation as unsafe or dangerous in any way will not be permitted.