Green Line Alert!
Due to a disabled train, shuttle buses replacing Green Line C branch between Kenmore and St Mary's and Green Line D branch between Kenmore and Fenway.
Project # X08CN04
Project Status: In Construction
Last Updated February 2014
As of February 2014, the Assembly Station project has completed the track throw and retaining wall milestones. The track throw diverted the train traffic to the east to allow for the station structures to be built. The retaining wall will support the new southbound track, which is to be constructed in Summer 2014.
The following construction activities have been completed:
- Concrete pile installation
- Concrete foundations
- Precast platforms
- Structural steel
The following construction activities are in progress:
- Curtain wall framing
- MEP rough
- Elevator/escalator construction
- Precast canopy installation
The following are previous updates regarding the project:
The Assembly Square redevelopment district in Somerville is the site of a proposed large-scale, mixed-use redevelopment project which will contain residential units, retail and office space, and a hotel. Construction will result with a new station on the Orange Line between Wellington and Sullivan Square. This project will be done by S&R Enterprises, Inc. and will cost $29,229,184 to complete. Funding for the new station has been established through a public/private partnership with state and federal agencies, as well as the developer Federal Realty Investment Trust.Throughout construction, scheduled diversions are necessary in order to keep construction on schedule. Notification of these diversions will be given at least two weeks prior through service advisories posted in Orange Line stations, online at mbta.com, public announcements within stations, and reminders via T-Alerts and Twitter @MBTA.
Impacts of Construction
- Slower train speed between Wellington and Sullivan Square
- Suspended subway service at 9 PM Sunday through Thursday until February 2013
- Weekend diversions from February 2013 through March 2013
- Shuttle bus service between Sullivan Square and Oak Grove after 9PM from August 4-8 2013
Benefits of Project
- Construction of 2,100 residential units
- Construction of more than 2.75 million square feet of retail and office space
- Construction of 200-room hotel
- Regional transit access and alternative to auto traffic
Schedule of Construction
April 2012: Construction beginsApril 2014: Completion of residential buildings and hotel (completed)February 2013: Reconstruction of track, trail, and signal workFall 2014: Construction to be completed