|Update: Commuter Rail back to full service on March 30. For schedules, please visit www.mbta.com/winter/severe_weather/ more >|
Foxborough Commuter Rail Feasibility Analysis Sept 1, 2010
The Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority (MBTA) working in concert with the Executive Office of Housing and Economic Development (EOHED) has explored the feasibility of offering fulltime commuter rail service to the existing special-event rail station at Gillette Stadium in Foxborough.
Public officials from Walpole, Foxborough and other surrounding communities were involved in the study process as were abutters to the proposed facility and other interested parties. This feasibility study was developed with respect to, and is consistent with the five goals and objectives listed in the Massachusetts State Rail Plan1:
1) Capacity and Operations: Ensure adequate capacity and operational efficiency of the freight and rail system in Massachusetts.
2) Economic Development: Support development and a healthy economy through informed investment in the freight and passenger rail system.
3) Environmental and Quality of Life: Ensure that improvements to the freight and rail system do not negatively impact the environment and help improve the quality of life for Massachusetts residents.
4) Safety and Security: Enhance the safety and security of passenger rail and the freight transportation system in all modes.
5) Policy and Decision-making: Provide tools and information to state decision-makers to make informed choices about investment in the freight and passenger rail system in the current transportation funding environment.
Please find below the complete study.