Dudley Station Improvements
Updated February 2015
The MBTA has completed multiple improvements at Dudley Square Station. The $8.5 million package of improvements was funded by both ARRA and the MBTA Capital budget.
The plans included significant improvements to the Dudley Square MBTA Station. The intent of the project was to improve and enhance customer comfort, convenience and safety, and also provide better accessibility to seniors and persons with disabilities. The $8.5 million multi-phased improvement project is summarized below:
- A new MBTA police substation was constructed and placed in service summer 2010, allowing for substantially enhanced police presence at the station. The new high visibility kiosk also enables Transit Police to monitor cameras at both Dudley and other stations system wide.
- Through a joint effort with the City of Boston, an automated public pay toilet was opened June 25, 2011. This unit is owned and maintained by JC Decaux under a contract with the City.
- The MBTA bus operators lobby was renovated. The project included roof replacement and interior remodeling.
- A major station renovation project commenced in August 2012 and was completed in 2013. This project included heated shelters, pedestrian safety improvements, upgraded lighting, pavement and platform repairs, ADA compliance, aesthetic improvements, improvements to vendor areas, etc.
Other projects that benefit Dudley Square:
- The MBTA upgraded bus stop facilities along Washington Street-Silver Line, including new pavement and bus lane delineation, and enclosed and heated bus stop shelters. This project was completed in November, 2011.
- MassDOT and the MBTA worked on the Roxbury-Dorchester-Mattapan Transit Study that recommended short, medium and long term transit improvements in the station vicinity. Recommendations were made in 2012.
- The MBTA recently completed bus stop improvements along five key bus routes that serve Dudley Station. Improvements included more shelters, benches, consolidated stops and better accessibility.
- The MBTA recently opened a new bicycle "Pedal & Park" secure bike parking facility at Dudley Station. This fully enclosed and secure bike cage provides secure parking for up to 40 bikes.
The MBTA is also actively participating in other Dudley square initiatives including:
- The City of Boston′s Dudley Transportation Action Plan
- The Dudley Vision Task Force
- Ferdinand Building Redevelopment