Dudley Station Improvements
Updated October 2012
The MBTA is in the process of implementing multiple improvements at Dudley Square Station. The $9.2 million package of improvements is funded by both ARRA and the MBTA Capital budget.
The MBTA is currently finalizing plans to make significant improvements to the Dudley Square MBTA Station. The intent of the project is to improve and enhance customer comfort, convenience and safety, and also provide better accessibility to seniors and persons with disabilities. The $8.5 million multi-phased improvement project is summarized below:
- A new MBTA police substation was constructed and placed in service summer 2010, allowing for substantially enhanced police presence at the station. The new high visibility kiosk also enables Transit Police to monitor cameras at both Dudley and other stations systemwide.
- A heated customer waiting area was opened to the public January 2011
- Through a joint effort with the City of Boston, an automated public pay toilet was opened June 25, 2011. This unit is owned and maintained by JC Decaux under a contract with the City.
- The MBTA bus operators lobby overhaul is now complete. The project included roof replacement and interior remodeling.
- A major station renovation project has commenced in August 2012 and will be completed in 2013. This project includes heated shelters, pedestrian safety improvements, upgraded lighting, pavement and platform repairs, ADA compliance, aesthetic improvements, improvements to vendor areas, etc.
Other projects that benefit Dudley Square:
- The MBTA is currently upgrading bus stop facilities along Washington Street-Silver Line, including new pavement, and enclosed and heated bus stop shelters. This project was completed in November, 2011.
- MassDOT and the MBTA are currently working on the Roxbury-Dorchester-Mattapan Transit Study that will recommend short, medium and long term transit improvements in the station vicinity. Recommendations will be made in 2012.
- The MBTA will be making bus stop improvements to five key bus routes that serve Dudley Station. Improvements to be implemented over the next few years include more shelters, benches, consolidated stops, better accessibility.
The MBTA is also actively participating in other Dudley square initiatives including:
- The City of Boston′s Dudley Transportation Action Plan
- The Dudley Vision Task Force
- Ferdinand Parcel redevelopment