|UPDATE: 19 Commuter Rail trains reinstated across six lines on March 9. For schedules, please visit www.mbta.com/winter/severe_weather/ more >|
ORIENT HEIGHTS RECYCLING EVENT
By Jeremy C. Fox, boston.com
The Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority has announced an upcoming community recycling event to take place at East Boston’s Orient Heights MBTA station on the Blue Line.
The recycling event will be held in the station’s parking lot Saturday, Sept. 8, from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m., and is open to all residents of East Boston; surrounding communities such as Winthrop, Chelsea, and Revere; or any other community.
There will be a charge of 35 cents per pound for televisions, but all other materials are free to drop off and will be dismantled and recycled with no landfill impact, according to a statement released Monday by the MBTA.
The MBTA encourages area residents to bring any unwanted recyclable materials and offers the following examples:
- electronics, such as cell phones, computers, hard drives, keyboards, monitors, copiers, scanners, faxes, modems, video cassette recorders and DVD players, videos, cameras, stereos, walkmans, and iPods;
- large appliances such as washers, dryers, microwaves, stoves, refrigerators, trash compactors, and air conditioners;
- small appliances such as air conditioners, blenders, food processors, toasters, irons, vacuum cleaners, and humidifiers;
- electrical materials, such as power tools, light fixtures, enclosures, panels, motors, batteries, cables, wires, and cords;
- yard equipment, such as lawn mowers, weed eaters, chainsaws, and tillers;
- metal of all types, such as pots and pans, file cabinets, fencing, swing sets, and rebar;
- toys, whether electronic or made of plastic, metal, or other materials.
The recycling effort cannot accept hazardous materials, liquids, tires, mattresses, carpets, textiles, upholstered furniture, wood, glass, toilets, fluorescent light bulbs, Styrofoam, or household trash.
For more information, contact Tim Lasker, the MBTA’s sustainability specialist, at firstname.lastname@example.org or 617-222-5750.